against curatorial methods... report

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Thu Jan 17 19:39:33 CET 2002

[here is a list of signatures which arrived in sign of solidarity with Sanja Ivekovic,
and some more opinions, and the list is still growing... greetings, anna]

Varsha Nair, Thailand
Piotr Krajewski, artistic director, WRO Center  for Media Arts, Wroclaw, Poland
Marc Garrett,  Artists/writer/musician/co-director of furtherfield.org, London
Renata Poljak
Aleksandra Estela Bjelica Mladenovic, art historian, Belgrade, Yugoslavia
Miroljub Mima Marjanovich, art historian/journalist, Belgrade
Michael Szpakowski, artist/musician, UK
Miran Mohar, artists, Ljubljana
Nikolina Milatovic, art historian, journalist (RTS, Belgrade)
Zelimir Koscevic, art-historian, MSU, Zagreb
Iris Müller-Westermann, curator, Moderna Museet, Stockholm, Sweden
Simon Biggs, Research Professor (Digital Media), Art and Design Research Centre, School of Cultural Studies
Sheffield Hallam University,Sheffield, UK
Laszlo Kerekes, artist, Berlin

Marc Garrett
It does not surprise me at all. It is not happening in one place alone, it is  a global issue. Too many power mongers who
think that they are worthy of  such positions, exploiting artists & creative entities for their own gains  and positions at
whatever cost. This example, situation is part of the  problem when such individuals and groups are not questioned for
their  actions when playing about with artists\' projects/works with such flippant  disrespect. It is a sorry state of affairs
and does not bode well.

Miroljub Mima Marjanovich
I fully agree with the statements of Marina Grzinic, and support Sanja
Ivekovic's project.

Miran Mohar
I totally agree with Marina\'s statement and I hope and belive that the  Croatian artists will show solidarity with Sanja
Ivekovic.

Nikolina Milatovic
I agree with Grzinic's statement concerning the incident between Sanja
Ivekovic and Croatian curator for the Sao Paolo Biennal.

Iris Müller-Westermann,
I agree with Marina's statement. It is not acceptable to kick out an artist  after having selected her or him!

Simon Biggs
I write in protest at the treatment of Sanja Ivekovic by the curator for
the Croation component of the Sao Paulo Bienale.
There can be no reason for changing, at the last moment, the choice of an
artist for such a prestigious event (or any other event or project) unless
the artist has broken their side of a legal agreement pertaining to the
event. Even if the artist were to die prior to the event it seems to me
only honourable, and perhaps a legal requirement, that the same artist
would continue to represent their country.
To me what has happened to Sanja Ivekovic is not only likely legally
questionable but also morally reprehensible. Such confusion and poor
practice on behalf of the curator in question should lead to their
immediate dismissal and the reinstatement of Sanja Ivekovic as Croatia's
artist representative at the Sao Paulo Bienale.

Laszlo Kerekes
daily artists & daily politics
as a matter of content, my brain stops
Berlin, 2003