support for Sanja Ivekovic feedback

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Wed Jan 16 17:54:00 CET 2002

Dear all,
signatures supporting Sanja Ivekovic and Marina Griznic's statement
started to come. The way Sanja Ivekovic's project
"Miss Croatia & Miss Brasil Read Zizek & Chomsky"
was canceled by the curator to take part in the Sao Paolo Biennal
really questions the basic ethics of the curatorial profession, and also
highlights the state's involvement in art practice in East Europe.
It is time to voice a protest... we are going to hand it over to the Croatian Ministry of Culture.
below is the list of those who signed already Marina Griznic's statement,
and a collage of opinions expressed which are going to be included in database
which Claudia is going to set up on the web. You can read Marina Griznic's
statement at anart.no/~syndicate...
greetings,
anna

Jeremy Welsh, Artist and Professor, Academy of Fine Art, Bergen , Norway
Hedwig Saxenhuber, Redaktion Springerin, Vienna
Georg Schoellhamme, Redaktion Springerin, Vienna
Clement Thomas, artist, pavu.com, Paris
Zoran Petrovski, Museum of Contemporary Art-Skopje, Macedonia
Edi Muka, curator of the national gallery of arts, Tirana, Albania
Claudia Westerman, artists, architect, Germany
Oliver Ressler, artist,  Vienna
Michael Bielicky, artist, professor, Prague
Mark Waterton, London
Suzanne Treister, artist, Sydney
Cornelia Sollfrank, artist, Hamburg, Germany
Feargus O\'Sullivan, lecturer/journalist, London
Anna Balint, lecturer, Sapientia University, Budapest-Cluj
Tihomir Milovac, curator, Zagreb
Penka Popova, artist, Chicago, IL, USA
Varsha Nair (s/he is form .th - does anybody know which country does that mean?)
Szacsva y Pal, artist, Hungary
Zelimir Koscevic, chief curator MOCA, Zagreb

Jeremy Welsh
I have known the artist Sanja Ivekovic since the early 1980\'s and regard her  as one of the most vital and original
artists to have emerged in Central  Europe since the 1970\'s. Her work is engaged, insightful and highly  relevant to our
contemporary world. I deplore the actions that have led to  the cancellation of her participation in the Sao Paolo
bienale.

Edi Muka
i fully agree with the initiative of marina grzinic to support sanja
ivekovic's project rejected by the curator

Michael Bielicky
this curator is not a curator but fasho-gangster-ashole-looser-no IQ -  corupted - coward- idiot...............

Penka Popova
...This curator who did try to humiliate Sanja Ivekovic in such an ugly way  needs a large break from curating shows
like the one in Sao Paolo.

Varsha Nair
Shocking curatorial practice.......
I support Sanja's project in everyway I can..

Tihomir Milovac
I fully support artist Sanja Ivekovic. As a curator of the Museum of  Contemporary Art in Zagreb I\'m ashamed by the
mode of proceeding of the  Croatian commissioner for Sao Paulo Biennial, Ms. Leonida Kovac.I disagree  with Ms.
Kovac\'s arguments by which she justifies her cancellaton of the  Sanja Ivekovic\'s project because I find them
nonvalid and nonrelevant for  the art matter.

Zelimir Koscevic
Please enclose my name to support Sanja Ivekovic. I was personally shoked
with the manipulation of Leonida Kovac, curator of MOCA Zagreb. I am
working also in the same institution but I cannotand I do not share
arrogance and non-professionalism of my former colleague Ms. Kovac.
So, once again, add my name in support the artist.