15th Stuttgart Filmwinter – Festival for Expanded Media

Claudia Westermann media at ezaic.de
Sat Jan 5 03:17:39 CET 2002

hm,

by the way.... someone going there ? should I wear a flag ? Syndicate-flag
perhaps ?
might write to me ... I guess I will be around ...

greetings claudia

15th Stuttgart Filmwinter – Festival for Expanded Media

Festival: 17th to 20th of January 2002
Warm Up: 10th to 16th of January 2002

http://www.filmwinter.de/

Introduction

Give me more…
more than 1000 projects were submitted to the Filmwinter to be chosen of.
This enormous increase in comparison to last year (about 600 submissions)
shows that the Filmwinter has established itself as an innovative forum in
the international festival scene.

As Festival For Expanded Media the Filmwinter investigates the relationship
and differences between film, video and new media. As a place for
experimental film, short-film, video-art, net-art and mediabased
environments the artistic quality is of main importance. Aditionally
Filmwinter tries to combine the artistic projects with social, political
and economical topics.

Within the Expanded Media Lounge (XML) there will be not just introduced
tendencies of media development and information technology, there will be
as well speakers who talk about sociology, economic science and philosophy.
It is the aim to present and discuss media as factors influencing our
reception in every-day-life, which can be seen and felt.

More than 100 international and national filmmakers, artists, researchers
and representatives of the media- and it-industry will discuss with the
audience about topics as robotik, media-evolution in countries of
transmission, socionic, migrating systems within internet or vj-culture.

Next to presentation and discussion there will be the legendary parties as
a basic part of Filmwinter. Nearly paradoxical is this special 15 year-old
Filmwinter-Mix of new and proven. This is true as well for the location:
next to the established festival locations of the Filmhaus, Treffpunkt
Rotebühlplatz and Kleine Schalterhalle (Small Ticket Hall) of the MainTrain
Station there will be the ex-printery next to the Filmhaus will function as
theatre stage

excerpt of programm:
part of XML - Expanded Media Lounge
Friday January 18th
Mediavolution In Transformation Countries

For several years, the Eastern European media scene has attracted
attention, not only at media art festivals but also in other contexts. Net
artists such as Igor Stromajer and Jaka Zeleznikar from Slovenia or the
Moscow video art collective Blue Soup Group are part of a generation of
artists, who has developed its post avant-garde works in a post communist
environment and by that contributed substantially to the open society. The
Soros Foundation, supporting e.g. the C3 – Center for culture and
Communication in Budapest, has made an important structural contribution,
too. Conferences such as "The Beauty and the East“ emphasize the atmosphere
of departure in Eastern Europe, but also the prevailing uncertainties. The
second day of the XML Conference, Friday, January 18, allows an insight in
this complex media culture scene.