Press Release / Call For Participation

curator at salvaggio-museum.org curator at salvaggio-museum.org
Wed Feb 27 11:14:28 CET 2002

Greetings;

Every day, objects are discovered, created, or discarded, side effects of the human condition. The Salvaggio Museum of Modern Living seeks to document this debris; not as an art museum, but as a museum to the inadvertant, accidental documents we produce in the course of living our modern lives.

You will see work from artists, but you will also see work from garbagemen, students, buisinessmen, cooks, and possibly even you. The idea is to eliminate the concept that modern life, everyday life, is not as important or beautiful as modern art.

We are open to exhibiting the quirks and passions of individuals, or collectively as a species. Within the overlooked, we can find a portrait of human beings. Because what we forget is oftentimes more important than what we remember.

You may contribute an idea for an exhibition, or contribute to the current projects already underway:

1. Your City.
We are seeking photographs and crayon drawings based on the town you live in. Work will be accepted from non-artists only. We encourage you to go into the city you live in and make a drawing, stick figures accepted, and no photograph will be turned down on account of technical disability alone. Please include the name, state and country your town is in.

2. The Childhood Museum.
The Childhood Museum will be an ongoing project within the ESMML. We are looking for photographs of toys that have been held onto by adults. Submissions to this exhibition should include a brief paragraph or less on why you have held on to it. Submissions which will also be considered: Photos of childhood rooms, class photos from grade 6 and below.

3. Desktop Exhibition.
Open to all, this is a re-opening of a call made by one38.org in 2000, asking people with a scanner to simply place the objects on thier physical desktop onto thier scanner and send in the results, untampered. The original project has been lost due to poor data back up, but will be re-opened by the ESMML with new desktops. We encourage anyone and everyone to participate.

4. The Failed Band Archive.
We are looking for demos, posters, and photographs from people who were in bands that have broken up. While we request that no one submit a band unless you took part, we will accept interesting Do-It-Yourself styled posters for rolling submissions.

5. Love.
Objects are sought which were created for the sake of love. While many objects are common, such as rings, roses, etc; we are looking for more eccentric objects created with the sole purpose of declaring- or affirming- the romantic, or platonic, love of another human being.

Thank you for your participation and interest.

Curator,
Eryk Salvaggio Museum of Modern Living
http://www.salvaggio-museum.org