Stelarc: Zombies and Cyborgs... lecture streaming

Anna Balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Sun Feb 17 15:56:48 CET 2002

[from Marko Kosnik]

 dear Friends

 weŽll be streaming the lecture of stelarc
 from the art school in Frankfurt-Offenbach

 tuesday, 19. Feb starting at 19.30 german time
 http://servout.canalweb-europe.com:8080/ramgen/encoder/stelarc.rm
 (direct stream link)

 or
 website:
 http://channelnet.tv

 hope youŽll all be there watching us
 xxL

 Rotraut Pape
 http://www.werkleitz.de/~pape

 http://www.hfg-offenbach.de

 STELARC

 ZOMBIES AND CYBORGS
 OBSOLETE, INVOLUNTARY AND AUTOMATED BODIES

 The multi-media presentation is a lecture illustrated with videotapes, slides, overhead transparencies
 and CD-Rom projection. Stelarc discusses issues related to the body and technology. The premise
 being that the body is an evolutionary architecture that operates and becomes aware in the world. To
 alter it's architecture is to adjust it's awareness. The body has always been a prosthetic body, one
 augmented by its instruments and machines. There has always been a danger of the body behaving
 involuntarily and conditioned automatically. There has always been a fear of the involuntary and the
 automated. Of the Zombie and the Cyborg. But we fear what we have always been and what we
 have already become.

 Through a discussion of his major performances such as the Body Suspensions, Third Hand events,
 Internal Body Probes, and the Exoskeleton walking robot, the Internet remote choreography of the
 Body and the Extra Ear proposal Stelarc deconstructs notions of self, identity, free-agency and what
 it means to be human. The absent, obsolete, invaded and involuntary body now performs for avatars
 on the Internet.