Love a Commuter, Valentine’s Day, 2002, NY

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Thu Feb 14 16:23:47 CET 2002

FEBRUARY 14, 2002

This coming Valentines Day "The Love a Commuter Project" promises to
love
thousands of New York City subway commuters. "The Love a Commuter
Project"
is a site-specific intervention launched by  artists Nicolas Dumit
Estivez
and Marma Alss on February 14, 2001 at the  Grand Central Terminal and
Times Square subway stations in New York City.  Over six hundred and
fifty
tokens of affection were distributed by the  artists free-of-charge to
those traveling during the holiday. This ephemeral piece allowed subway
riders to share a quick moment of intimacy with the performers in a
space
deemed as functional and impersonal. This year the reach of "The Love a
Commuter Project" will expand. For this purpose, other artists have been

invited to  perform an intervention/action at a subway station near you.

For  additional information about "The Love a Commuter Project" or to
find
out about the subway station near you where you can be loved, please
contact us at commuter_lovers at hotmail.com For a list of the
participating
artists and a schedule of the interventions,  please go to
www.bergenstreet.com/commuter_lovers.html
Video documentation of the 2001 "The Love a Commuter Project" can be
seen
at  www.bkyn.com

Irina Danilova writes, I am going to perform on Thursday, February 14th
in
Subway within "Love a Commuter Project"My work is - "Love is a Hole in
the
Heart", 59th Street Station, A train (well - it is for commuters, not
for
the audience but I will be glad if you commute there between 5 and 9,
aprox. 7pm).Going to play cry of orgasm 59 times (lets see what is
stronger  - underground cry or noise) and distribute to random American
people 59 aphorisms about love by random Russian people (from the
current
contest made by my friend, Professor of Emory University, Mikhail
Epstein
and some other Russian sites). The name of this performance - "Love is a

Hole in the Heart", aphorism found on one of the Russian sites, author
is
unknown.This performance about controversy of being a potential victim
(of
love or hatred), about cry (of pleasure or horror) and about aphoristic
love bridge between people across the world... KEEP YOUR HEARTS OPEN

This project is partially supported by Artists Space's Independent
Project  Grants Program.