[syndicate] image/ine technopolygraphical lines

anna balint potemkin at freemail.hu
Fri Feb 1 19:50:32 CET 2002

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/6394/one.html

Baxter's case for "primary perception" powerfully supports Chalmers'
argument that consciousness is a fundamental property of nature.  The
plants in these experiments are registering a clear experience of
the events taking place around them.  They are demonstrating  a
"rich inner life" with none of the sensory organs or complex functions
of mind that have been used in an attempt to explain the existence of
consciousness in higher animals.
In one of his earliest experiments, Baxter had failed to get a response
when he dipped a leaf into a scalding cup of coffee, so he decided to get
a match to burn the plant leaf being tested.  At the instant of this
decision, there was a dramatic change in the tracing pattern on the polygraph,
suggesting that the tracing might have been triggered by the mere thought
of burning the leaf.  In another experiment, Backster had live brine
shrimp dumped into boiling water at random times determined by automated
equipment, to remove the possibility of human interference.  In a series
of experiments with three philodendron plants, each located in separate rooms,
polygraph readings showed that five to seven seconds after the dumping of
the shrimp, the instruments registered a large burst of plant activity that
Backster concluded could only have come from the shrimp.
In subsequent experiments with fresh fruit, vegetables, mold cultures,
yeasts, and single celled life forms including scrapings from the roof of
a human mouth, blood samples, paramecia, amoebae, and even spermatozoa,
Backster's experiments demonstrated the same sort of primary perception.
 The results obtained by Backster demonstrated that "besides some sort
of telepathic communication system, plants also possess something closely
akin to feelings or emotions. ... They appreciate being watered.  They
worry when a dog comes near.  They faint when violence threatens their
own well-being.  And they sympathize when harm comes to animals and
insects close to them." Similarly, Lynne Margulis claims that even the simplest
one-celled organisms have what she calls a "simple consciousness."