[syndicate] Valdimir Bulat: Interview with Ulay, Bucharest 2000

Claudia Westermann media at ezaic.de
Tue Feb 5 13:59:05 CET 2002

>I mention your real name?" And he did that, and my real name is Uwe
>Laysiepen. Just a week ago two students of mine in Germany searched about
>a couple of
>hours on the Internet for my real name. And they did not find it, because
>it is not recorded on the Internet.

;) ... hm,
it would have been just too easy to have a look into the lecture catalogue
of the university .... well .......

a refugee

said he was searching for reality.

'How many truths do I have to collect?' she asked.

( reduced conversation )

_____________

the performance work of Marina Abramovic and Ulay is pretty well documented
on the internet.

http://www.aces.utexas.edu/sam/images/dissertation/The%20Lovers%20photos/

UNICUM: So where is the difference between the new art-generation and you?
Abramovic: You remember me walking the chinese wall in 1988 with Ulay...
UNICUM:...your former partner Uwe Laysiepen, with whom you had been working
for 12 years...
Abramovic:... we had walked, both from the opposite end, for 90 days until
we met in the middle. Nine years later, I saw a video-installation of a
beatifull chinese boy walking naked the chinese wall. So I asked the artist
: "How long have you been walking?" He said: "Well, for three minutes".
That's the difference.

http://www.werkleitz.de/events/biennale2000/E/katalog/abramovic_ulay.html
"Rest Energy"
NL 1980, Video, 4:12 min, b&w

Standing across from one another in slanted position
Looking each other in the eye.
I hold a bow and Ulay holds the string with the arrow
pointing directly to my heart.
Microphones attached to both hearts recording
the increasing number of heart beats.

(Marina Abramovic)