[syndicate] \\ ztruktrl glasez

H. Haggerty herbert_haggerty at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 26 15:09:59 CET 2002

 Details about this and other experiments can be found in:
Hock, Roger R. (1999). Forty Studies that Changed Psychology - Exploration Into the History of Psychological Research, 3rd Ed. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Inc. Hock, Roger R. (1999). Forty Studies that Changed Psychology - Exploration Into the History of Psychological Research, 3rd Ed. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Inc.
Besides the experiment nn cites there are two others worth mentioning ( can't find my book so I can't give you exact details):
#1 I cited this experiment to explain to my teenage daughter why women stayed with men who beat them. Two similar dogs were placed in identical cages except that in the first, half the floor was wired to give shocks and in the second, the entire floor was wired to give shocks. The dog in the first cage quickly learned to move to the non-electrified side and remained relatively healthy. The second dog quickly learned that no matter what she did, she was going to get shocked and thus gave up into the dog version of hopelessnes and despair. Now the interesting part: When the second dog was moved to the first cage, she remained in a hopeless and despairing state and did not bother to move to the non-electrified side when being shocked.
#2 An actor was hired and trained to mimic the sounds of being tortured. The actor was wired up to electrical straps and told to mimic sounds at various levels. Test subjects were brought in and instructed to give shocks at ever increasing levels by the researcher. Most subjects did as they were told and delivered higher and higher levels of shocks to the actor who dutifully acted the part of being in extreme pain. The subjects were conflicted about this and naturally said they did not want to do it. But the point is that they did do it. Some went so far as to deliver the maximum voltage to the actor who was in apparent agony. If memory serves, only one or two subjects refused to deliver shocks beyond mild levels. Again, if memory serves, this test was designed to explain what happened in Germany in the 30' and 40's.
Now that I am awakening due to having a clear head, I see that I am surrounded by cloth monkeys, hopeless dogs, and people willing to deliver the maximum voltage. I married a cloth monkey: she had to throw me out and threaten me to get rid of me. I have come a long way since then. My most sincere desire is to find a way to help other people wake up. I am looking at art now to see if that is a way.

integer at www.god-emil.dk wrote: Creature comforts: baby monkeys held on to the cloth mother (left) whenever they could.