[syndicate] your appalling society of tyrants +

H. Haggerty herbert_haggerty at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 24 04:47:57 CET 2002

how interesting it must be to have people fascinated with you!

Here is someone who is not fascinating, although i am sure he thinks he
is:

Larry Ellison has proposed a national identity card, voluntary, with
those opting out of the card subject to more "rigorous scrutiny". The
id card sytem would be run by Oracle, of course.

I am sure Oracle would like a slice of the "Total Information
Awareness" pie. He is worth 19 billion dollars even after the bubble
burst. He can afford all the privacy he needs.

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=11694

I didn't realize how far the left has totally capitulated (which is why
they lost the recent elections):

The Ellison proposal has won the approval of, among others, Sen. Dianne
Feinstein (D-Calif.), who said, “There has to be some I.D. We have had
a major catastrophe. This is a very serious time. The country is at
war. The purpose here is to protect ourselves.”

Dershowitz contends that the cards might actually increase freedoms.
“Four Arab-looking guys reading the Koran are much less suspicious if
they have the cards and can just slash them through card readers,” he
said.

That last statement from Deshowitz is so laughable that there is
nothing I can add.

I found an answer to a muddled thought. People around where I live are
not afraid of terrorists or police; they do like their privacy and will
take action to protect it, thats all in a day's work. people i know are
more afraid of germs; but most of all, people i know, are deathly
afraid of.....becoming poor.

It is viewed as a sin to be poor in America, a moral failure, no matter
what people say. Unfortunaly, the recesssion is putting a lot of us out
of work. If Bush doesn't do something soon, he will be thrown out of
office, just like his dad was after the gulf war.

"17 percent of families own no appreciable wealth at all, and another
eight percent have a negative net worth -- their debts exceed their
assets" !!!!!!!!!!!!

If I were Larry Ellison, I'd be worried about the crowd at the gate
too.

http://www.progress.org/archive/barnes16.htm
Today's rich, the top one percent, own roughly 25 percent of all
personal and financial assets, according to James D. Smith of
Pennsylvania State University, more than eight times the wealth owned
by the bottom 50 percent. Again, except during the Depression and World
War II, the relative concentration has stayed about the same or
worsened.

Even these figures do not show us the whole picture, for the rich and
the poor own different kinds of wealth. The great GNP machine has been
moderately successful in distributing what might be called inert wealth
-- homes, automobiles, personal property -- which, far from producing
income, are a drain on the sturdiest pocketbook. (Even here its success
has not been phenomenal: 17 percent of families own no appreciable