REALTOKYO MM Vol. 109

Andreas andreas at realtokyo.co.jp
Fri Dec 20 02:59:55 CET 2002

R    E    A    L    T    O    K    Y    O    MAIL MAGAZINE
_____12_20_2002_Fri_vol.109___________ http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x
We wish our readers MERRY CHRISTMAS, a wonderful holiday season,
and a happy, healthy and prosperous NEW YEAR!
*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*X*x

Dear reader,

totally unrelated to the season or recent events, we at RT want to
appeal to everybody involved/interested in translation work in one
way or another. Reading volume 047 of RT editor Ozaki Tetsuya's
column "Out of Tokyo" or, if you read Japanese, occasionally peeking
into our Japanese edition you will have noticed that we quietly
launched a service aiming to create fruitful connections between
translators and publishers.
We are calling for people who are sincerely interested in translating
certain publications to introduce the books of their choice along with
their own profiles and translation samples, which we are publishing
on a page we established for this purpose (still only in Japanese:
http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/japanese/honyaku/f_honyaku.htm)

Previous entries (by Japanese readers) suggest translations of foreign
books into Japanese ("A Separate Peace" and "Absolute Beginners"),
whereas it's needless to mention that our idea includes also the
opposite direction.

In case you are a translator and interested in translating a Japanese
book that is NOT YET AVAILABLE IN YOUR LANGUAGE, please don't hesitate
to send us a short introduction of your suggested publication, including
reasons why it should be made available in the respective language, your
own profile, and a short translation sample (eg. the first page).

For more details on this project please see volume 47 of "Out of Tokyo":
http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/english/column/ozaki47.htm

We're hoping for numerous entries, so don't be shy and contact
translation at realtokyo.co.jp for suggestions, inquiries, comments, etc.

Happy holidays!

Andreas Stuhlmann
vice editor-in-chief

[This Week's Index]

(1) Tokyo Editors' Diary
Baba Masataka ("A" magazine) vol. 007

(2) Event Pick of the Week
nutron

(3) Presents
Intoxicate calendars and T-shirt

This week's RT Picks:

art+cinema+music+stage+design+town = 48 events
including 10 new ones!
Plus new entries on our 'book/disk' page.

Check them out!

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

(1) Tokyo Editors' Diary

Baba Masataka ("A" magazine) vol. 007

There is one essay that left a deep impression on me. It's a text
titled "Antichronical '80" that appeared in the "Kenchiku Bunka"
architecture magazine sometime in 1993 or so. I was totally knocked
out by the text's rhythm and the world view that was expressed there.
Since that article made me realize what kind of expressive writing
styles are possible even if it's about such topics as architecture,
it has become an important example for me personally. I was pretty
shocked then when I found out that the text's author was a graduate
student and only slightly older than me.

Read more at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/diary/0022-henshucho.htm

(2) Event Pick of the Week

nutron

Known for Minamo's or No. 9's releases and events such as "tron,"
the Cubic Music label presents its new series of live music events,
"nutron." The four artists/units featured at this first volume
share an overall sound that is put together of electronic elements,
jazz and field recordings. Their performances, though, are going
to show how different approaches and methods can look like, ranging
from improvised live play to computer file re-play. One band on the
bill is Computer Soup (photo), whose sound has become more compact
and clear since the line-up shrinked to the present trio constellation.
Since their collaboration with Jan Jelinek "Coms" enjoy a high
reputation also in Europe -- naturally most in Germany -- and the
threesome's first live set in a while alone is absolutely worth a
visit.
--Andreas

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/event_cgi/ev_viewE.cgi?2,1392

(3) Presents

Last chance to apply for one of the "Intoxicate" calendars or the
T-shirt, that are given to a total of 11 REALTOKYO readers by Tower
Records' free magazine "Musee."

To apply and for more info see:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/present/present.htm

Next week on RT:

- Tokyo Editors' Diary

- Out of Tokyo

- Presents

and more…

In order to make REALTOKYO even more interesting and convenient
for you, we rely on your feedback. Please send us opinions or
productive suggestions concerning contents, structure, layouts,
etc. Three especially lucky readers who send a mail to
info at realtokyo.co.jp.
will be chosen and receive a little gift.

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

------------------------PR-------------------------------------

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

REALTOKYO is looking for advertisers wanting to place banners on
our web site and/or in the mail magazine. Banners will get lots of
hits from people attracted to a web site full of catchy information
on cinema, art, music, theatre and other fun events in town.
Please contact the following email address for dimensions and costs.

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

Please click the URL below to stop receiving email and to change
your password.
http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/scheduler/f_configure_en.htm
Users must go to the page above to make changes to their services;
REALTOKYO regrets that it is unable to process changes received by
email.

No part of the text or images from this site may be used
without permission from the publisher.

Copyright 2002 REALTOKYO