[syndicate] Re: Do not go gentle into that good night

Brilliant Sunshine herbert_haggerty at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 12 07:45:50 CET 2002

:-) Excellent points. No, I have reached the shore after a long swim and don't have any plans to jump back in.
I am just pushing my boundaries out in small steps (or big ones today), and it is most interesting. Excuse me if I seem a little immature because I have just found the reset button and pushed it, so I am starting over.
Drug addiction and coding software are extremely isolating activities. So the question I am trying to answer is how to start communicating. My writing here today helped me clarify some of that. I thought I wanted to be a revolutionary and storm the barricades but I now see that I am more the subversive type.
Well not, quite. Part of me wants to be a performance artist and exhibit myself and part of me wants to remain in the shadows and work from behind the scenes. So I am split.
If you wish me to move on I would consider that (it's a big place after all) but it is far more likely that you are not thinking of me at all. The internet has the quality of listening to people talk to themselves. This means I can talk to myself, which I did today.
But I am happy to hear you point out that suicide is not romantic or attractive. I agree whole-heartedly.
- michael
 claudia westermann <media at ezaic.de> wrote:
hello,

I must tell you that until now I have not found very many people on
Syndicate favouring memorial web pages.
just wanted to mention
in case you are planning your path to death in public to be eternalized.

ohh, and .. the death of an artist has only a positive commercial effect
if s/he produced some works before ..
they do not necessarily have to be good works to sell well then,
so it is up to your comfort if you want to keep the illusion of
having produced
something excellent by stuffing your self with drugs

regards
claudia

>Thanks but I am not quite ready for prime time. I checked out your
>site and it feels like I could find a home there.
>
>The biggest issue I need to resolve is one of courage. I am drawn to
>artists that are as truthful and honest as they can be and that is
>the only way I want to be. But there is always the backlash. I don't
>need to explain this to you but I will mention one example because
>it is so important to me, which is Stockhausen's comment that sept
>11 was ?the greatest work of art that is possible in the whole
>cosmos? . I found this personally exhilirating, and I would have to
>say in all honesty that if I met Bin Laden or Stockhausen, I would
>have to thank them, for this event and comment were the beginning of
>my own awakening, the beginning of my attention to art, and
>eventually, I hope, my own salvation. This is thinking just from a
>personal point of view, and naturally I have sympathy for the loss
>of loved ones.
>
>So here's the problem; many would call this madness.
>
>From the web: "His concerts were abruptly canceled; his daughter, a
>pianist, informed the press that she would no longer appear under
>the name Stockhausen; international reaction was swift and
>predictably harsh. In the midst of controversy, he tried to explain:
>?Where has he brought me, that Lucifer,? he asked, referring to a
>major invented character who regularly figures in a series of seven
>operas that have engaged him in a twenty-five-year project."
>
>So even he had to dis-avow his own comments, to blame it on a
>character he created. I don't want to do this, even though I
>recently employed this technique over at
>alt.support.depresson.manic, where I have been practically run off
>the list for my thinking. It seems I am too mad even for the mad. I
>love to provoke.
>
>This is a problem, which is why I post under an alias, even though
>almost everything I write is true, especially since everything I
>write is true. I foolishly gave the state some time ago the power to
>"5150" me, which is parlance for locking someone up for being crazy.
>As you know, once the state gets a power, it does not give it up.
>
>I don't feel like I am mad. I am crazy like a fox, there is a method
>to my madness. Many are put off by my writing in such a personal
>way. But I find it useful for processing and clarifying my thoughts
>and that is all that really matters to me. For some odd reason, I
>think better in public. I came to this list out of a fascination
>with NN. That may be a better model for public discourse. I am
>watching and learning.
>
>I am not ready to put myself out there much for another reason,
>which is that I am dealing with my own personal demons. I recently
>lost a friend to a heroin overdose. Most of my friends are on the
>edge, and I like it there too. They are either schizophrenic
>("spiritual seperation symptom" when translated to Japanese),
> [...]

information and archive: http://anart.no/~syndicate
to post to the Syndicate list:
Shake the KKnut: http://anart.no/~syndicate/KKnut
no commercial use of the texts without permission