Kostya Mitenev tenev at digbody.dux.ru
Sat Aug 24 03:43:42 CEST 2002

Next Media / NEXA presents:

Today, when art-movements found themselves in a dead end of the disappearing
esthetics of Postmodern, we ask ourselves a question: who is the artist?
Is that the one, who is still suffering Andy Worhol syndrome? Is that the one,
who is trying to bring back to life image of the "revolution"? Or it is the one,
who is still running around with the shabby avant-garde in search of a grand?
All these world only work in the context of postmodernism.
The problem is, that "the master has left and won't come back soon".
According to W.Benjamin a product became a creation, when it has an aura.
One can't copy an aura; recreate it mechanically without loosing something.
But W.Bemjamin referred to the mechanical or chemical machinery.
He talked about the time of industrial art, navigated cinematographically.
He had in mind an era of light-sensitive graphics, which was patting fine art's
shoulder: "Hey, Buddy, let me through". Pure Modern.
Later time rolled around electronic analogue- TV frame. "The audience" quickly
got advanced with the concept of the Global Village. It clear, that art product
became a message and the message in itself is now a creation.
It became important to catch attention. "Everyone has his 15 minutes of fame"
(Andy Worhol). That's when our uncle Post-Modernism came to life. He said: "Hey
,guys, I have good news and even better news. Which one would you like to have
first?" And that was it. That's right, this little joke
was his message.
Today the era of a biological copying begun. Electronic object can be cloned
till you faint. It is still a message. The best part is that it still did not
loose hope to put back status of original to it's own place. No giggling,
everything is for grown ups. No age, no death. Only artholic would get how
genes communicate. Now we are talking about evolution, which is on the way
of art. Now we are talking about "Next Artist". We are talking about Artificial
Intelligence in the era of Bioart.

Masha Pentium & Kostya Mitenev  (translated to English by Alona Makeeva)
Undina1 at yahoo.com
http://www.digbody.spb.ru/index.htm
tel: 7 (812) 142 33 12

P.S. From 8.08.02 till 11.09.02 on club Decadence (Admiralteyskaya nab.12), Sankt-Petersburg/Ru here is an exhibition of "Cyberphotoes+Cyberkino" by Masha Pentium & Kostya Mitenev with participant of Vasily Zagorodny.
Here are 8 pictures of 30X40 sm and 2 of 80X80 sm
A programme of cyberkino: "Next City In Baltic Sea", 30'', 2002
                                         "A Cat Katya and GRRL-02",2'15'', 2002
                                         "Misha&Masha(Robot and Cyborg)",17",2000
                                          "An Answering Machine",30",2002
                                          "SPb 4.1/Naxt Sankt-Petersburg", 4'10",2000
                                           "A Contact 000", 40",2000

U R WELCOME