Furtherfield on the move...

furtherfield info at furtherfield.org
Wed Aug 28 14:26:39 CEST 2002

BlankFurtherfield Update (28/8/02)

Furtherfield has been going through various shifts and changes. We are sure many of you know about some of these already. Those who have missed their last emails and those who are new members of Furtherfield. Whether you are an artist or someone who is intuitive emotionally and conceptually, enjoying being a part of this ever growing net community; we have a lot to inform you about. So rub your eyes, make yourself a strong cup of coffee and let all the information flood into your pliable craniums.

The Furtherfield office is moving to Finsbury Park (London) into a 1600 sq ft warehouse. The address is at the bottom of this email. All the Networking parties will in future be held in this new space. We are going to use the space to maintain furtherfield's independence by using it as an 'on and off' exhibiting space for the support and promotion of up and coming digital, activist, explorative artists. And of course will continue collaborative projects with other net based groups locally and globally.

All those who are waiting for their work to be featured or hosted on furtherfield, please be patient for currently we are building and decorating in the new space, give us a couple of weeks to get your work online. All those who wish to send submissions to furtherfield for consideration can still send them, give us about a week for response. And if anyone who is living in London suddenly gets the urge to help us get the space up and running, don't be shy, an extra pair of hands can always come in handy (scuze slack the pun).

We will continue to:
  a.. Place net art and agit-prop art-work up in the streets with submissions sent via email globally.
  b.. Hold Networking Parties 'where anyone can turn up and discuss their ideas, promote projects and show their work'.
  c.. Host and support independent artists via the Furtherfield web site.
  d.. Host musicians, aural soundscape artists and noisemakers on our sister site Furthernoise.org
  e.. Not ask for any money from artists for designing their sites.
  f.. Collect diary entries for our perpetual project DIDO - [http://www.dido.uk.net]
  g.. Train people to use various web design programs in return for helping us with furtherfield upkeep.
  h.. Share skills and ideas with people from all walks of life, judging by their quality and not by their background.
  i.. Exhibit artists work whether they have been to college or not, it's the context not the lineage we are into.

  We would also like to thank AKAART, for generously hosting furtherfield and its various projects.

  http://www.furtherfield.org/skinstrip/ 'Skin/Strip Online' invites the global digital community to anonymously express their physical identity using visual images of their bodies. Individual net users participate in a collective, live event, confronting social and cultural representations of the body within the net community, by revealing and viewing their previously unknown, corporeality via net-based technology. Including two introductory essays by Alan Sondheim and Lewis LaCooke.

  http://www.furtherfield.org/crit/index.htm Lewis LaCooke is our first critic in residence on Furtherfield. Offering regular and informative reviews of varied explorative projects & artworks featured on furtherfield, plus other works by artists who are currently exhibiting on the Internet.

  http://www.furtherfield.org/ffield/index2.htm Furtherprojects, a page that shows all our current projects and what we are up to, still to be updated (of course).

  j.. New Work on Furtherfield.org

Christophe Bruno, Joy Garnett, John Blanchard, Ruth Catlow, Marc Garrett,
Joseph Franklyn McElroy & Donna McElroy, Lewis Lacook, Micki Tschur...

Fascinum - Christophe Bruno: This piece lives on the Yahoo portal. It shows the pictures from the daily news that are most viewed on different national Yahoo websites. Compiling subjects that fascinate different countries all over the world, juxtaposed in real time. Diplaying the pictures most viewed [ranking from 1 to 10] on different national Yahoo portals.

The Bomb Project - Joy Garnett: A comprehensive on-line compendium of nuclear-related links, imagery and documentation. Intended as a resource for artists and encouraging those working in all media, from net.art, film and video, eco-intervention and site-specific installation to more traditional forms of agitprop, to use this site to search for raw material. The Bomb Project has gathered together links to nuclear image archives (still and moving), historical documents, current news, NGOs and activist organizations as well as government labs and arms treaties. It makes accessible the declassified files and graphic documentation produced by the nuclear industry itself, providing a context for comparative study, analysis and creativity.

AirStream - John Blanchard: Taken from the album 'Airstream' by John Blanchard, a selection of meditative pieces for cello, piano, sitar, and orchestra. A smooth interface that reflects  the feeling of the music, drawing the user into an environment that is unusually calming and relaxing for a computer interface. It also features photography created by the composer inspired by the work of Andy Goldsworthy.

Short Films - Ruth Catlow: A selection of short films. 'Drawn to the big human subjects but ever unsure how to approach them. I think of these short films like  short films are like inappropriate gestures, physical actions or shouts in public spaces. They are about seeing shamanistic hedonism and animism in shopping centres, the confusions and difficulties of taking responsibility for the state of the world in a fractured community, shifting identity (finding myself behind someone else's eyes), subjectivity and perspective. I've got a wooden spoon in my hand and I'm stirring the chthonic soup'. All the clips are taken in public spaces shot in Walthamstow, the east end of London, UK.

Marc Garrett's Writings - Marc Garrett: A varied collection of agitprop writings, featuring his infamous ironic email shorts 'Sleazy Art Meetings' (sliced stories, art speak, critical philosophies, mixed with text stolen from sex sites on the Internet) and stories, or rather fables touching on how technology plays on our subconscience, issues of personal freedom, sexual identity, masculinity and politics. Some have termed his stories as cyber-novels. 'I don't mind the term, but I feel that the stories declare life and all its confusions beyond labels and are more about dealing with the issue of transmutation. The site also features 'Critical Text' and 'Poetry/Prose', all worth a visit.

A Population in Peril - Cor[porat]e [Per]form[ance] Art[ists] Joseph Franklyn McElroy & Donna McElroy: Performance has become a key term that in turn applies to experimental art, worker productivity, and functionality of technical, corporate, and military systems. A document of sunny New York days, digitalized and hand drawn depictions of creativity and contentment in the face of a terrorist threat.

Flash Poetry Generator 3.0 - Lewis LaCook: A programme that invites you to place nouns and verbs into dialogue boxes. Once the user has typed in their chosen words the poems are generated, forming evocative prose; some abstract, some profound, some dada. Lewis LaCooke is also currently furtherfield's resident critic http://www.furtherfield.org/crit/index.htm.

Taxidermy - New Micki Tshcur: Animals that have fallen victim to road kill incidents undergo a taxidermic transformation into various odd poses & gestures.
Goatboy - New Micki Tshcur: A sexual adventure turned into a comic strip by Micki Tschur documenting an encounter with a young goat herd in the Alps of Italy.

Furtherfield wishes to thank all those who have submitted their new work and for their patience in waiting for it to happen. [We still have more new submissions to add to furtherfield, due to being over-run and over-worked we will put the rest up in a few weeks - Phew!]

Furtherfield is an non profit independent online platform for the creation, promotion, and archiving of new work for public viewing and interaction. Furtherfield collaborates with independent visual artists, digital/net artists, writers, critical thinkers, musicians and noisemakers with a special focus on work developed and produced outside the recognised institutional support structures (colleges, galleries, corporate and public funding). We explore new and imaginative strategies for communicating ideas and issues in a range of digital & terrestrial media contexts.
Furtherfield's activities focus on presenting works online and organising global, contributory projects, which exist simultaneously on the Internet, the streets and public venues.

We can make our own World . . .

http://www.furtherfield.org

info at furtherfield.org