MOVEMENT TO PERFORMANCE mope / / 02 Vasa Arthall, Finland 17-19.5.2002

peter.rosvik at wns.fi peter.rosvik at wns.fi
Wed Apr 10 18:09:36 CEST 2002

Mope//02

Vasa doesn't exactly have a history of Performance art, From my knowledge there has been only two festivals in Vasa before this, one in 1982 and one in –91, these have been happenings more with artist within the borders of Finland.
Platform is organising a performance festival 17-19.5. 2002. The Vasa city arthall is going to be the main place fore the festival but there is also going to be happenings around the area. Platform is going to work as a meeting point during the festival.

The intentions for the festival is to show a clear picture of what performing in arts is today and what shapes it has taken that includes new media of different kind.

To keep a Performancefestival in the City arthall and partly around in the town of Vasa, are the aims to capture a vider audience than the usual gallery audience in the field of contemporary art. The aim is also to wider the concept of "Performing in arts". To have an open happening for unusual live performances, That includes visual presentations with basic elements from all
traditional categories of art (such as music, dance, theatre, poetry reading and so forth). With this we hope to arrays questions about contemporary art in general. And about borders between different cultures how they separate from each other at the same time as you can find elements that are common everywhere.

The Festival is going to be held in Vasa Arthall from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon with non-stop performances of different kind. During this time there is going to be a 23 hours live radiobroadcast from Gallery Platform by two editors (Radio X3M). Platform is situated about 200 meters from Vasa Arthall, so the gallery will be a meeting point during the festival. By having two radio radio editors Peter Lüttge and Stan Saanila, who also will be making reports from the festival they hope for people to participate in the broadcast (everyone has a chance to speak their mind! or maybe use the radio as a performance tool?)

You can apply for participation to the festival before 30.4.2002. In your application we need to have your name, telephone number, name of the work, duration (roughly) and request of equipment. We plan to have as many participants as possible to get a packed program for the weekend.
Food and accommodation Platform will provide for and we will try to get the travel expenses covered (depending on the amount of participates) please contact us as soon as possible regarding these questions.

Contact person: Marcus Lerviks +358405275613 (Platform) +358 (0)6 3129883 info at platform.fi