[syndicate] bweep bweep I'm an artist

john.m.kuykendall at mail.sprint.com john.m.kuykendall at mail.sprint.com
Wed Apr 17 18:04:02 CEST 2002

I did not assert that I could define art. But I do know the difference
between a hawk and a handsaw. I struggle every day trying to define art
for myself, and I cannot say that I have gotten any better at it. I can,
however, tell when I am being sold a bill of goods.  I suppose what I
was getting at there is that what I have noticed going on with the ascii
characters and the little cyber scrawls has become uninspired, co-opted
nonsense. It was a stylistic choice, ONCE. After that, it was
immitation. It is like those who would like to be percieved as artists
dressing in the black clothes and behaving broodingly. It is a show.
When you actually look at the SUBSTANCE of what is being communicated
there is nothing new. The addition of ascii characters, intentional
mis-spellings, "boop boop" whatever, is just pop pablum,
self-promotional drivel. Whatever happened to simplicity, transparency,
simply saying what you mean? There is a way to be both an artist, and
comprehensible, particularly when one means to be undertood. If what you
mean is "Ok, Mr. Smarty-pants, you define art!", why not just say that?
Speak plainly if you mean to be understood. And then there are those who
somehow feel that by joining this little club they are somehow promoting
themselves, by association. While it is unfortunate that these days it
has become increasingly harder and harder for one to succeed as an
artist simply by virtue of doing good work, it is still a fact that it
is still  the work that defines ones art. Although I cannot define the
totality of what art is, I can say that we tend to look for deliberation
within it. Art is an act of deliberation, right? So, an artist who
deliberates daily with his craft, his subject matter, his materials, to
me that's where the integrity is... Not in the promotion of a perception
of potential artisticness. I'd love to believe that there are others
like me who see where I'm coming from here and who  lend clarity to what
I feel is a valid point, but I admit is a real bitch to break down
properly. Now, one who criticizes invites criticism. I epect you will
find grammatical errors and spelling mistakes in this little thing.
Fine. But please, consider the substance of what I've said. I invite
debate, so long as the goal is to refine communication and
understanding, and not sophomoric one-upsmanship.