DRA Special Issue September 11

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Fri Sep 28 19:51:22 CEST 2001

 From Michel Bauwen's Digital Revolution Alert
Special issue - dedicated to the implications of the September 11 events

·       Networks, Netwar, and Information Age Terrorism
http://www.rand.org/publications/MR/MR989/MR989.chap3.pdf

David Ronfeldt and John Arquila of Rand Corporation examine the
'information age' aspects of the new terrorist movements

·       Bruce Hoffman on the 'loosely networked' post-modern terrorists.
http://www.mipt.org/hoffman-ctb.html

Bruce Hoffman, author of Inside Terrorism, was one of the few experts who
correctly predicted forms of terrorism that produced the September 11
disaster, by focusing on the changing organisational structures.

" The absence of any existing, publicly identified central command
authority is significant in that it may remove previous inhibitions on the
terrorists' desire to inflict widespread, indiscriminate casualties. In
some instances, individual networks therefore may have greater freedom and
independence in tactical decisions than traditional terrorist cells of the
past given the absence of some central command structure or actual
functioning headquarters. Accordingly, this particular trend in terrorism
may represent a very different and potentially far more lethal one than
that posed by more familiar, traditional, terrorist adversaries."

·       How do they think: structures of geopolitical reasoning
http://home.t-online.de/home/Perspectus/index.htm

This is a marvellous  website dedicated to understanding conflicts by
relating it to the modes of consciousness of the participants. Click on the
essay on geopolitical reasoning which is the most relevant to current events.

Read the following extended quote, that reveals some of the richness of the
approach, part of an as yet unfinished draft, on 'geopolitical worldviews

         " Geopolitical worldviews in the response to terrorism

The discussions in the media about the terror attack in the USA make
painfully clear that the commentators and decision-makers make sense of the
events in so different ways that meaningful communication is sometimes very
difficult. However, the outcomes of these discussions are critically
important to us all, because the reactions of the West to terrorism will
have far-reaching consequences for the course of events in the global
society during coming years. It is therefore very important to turn
attention to the way people make sense of what has happened, in particular
in terms of what different people think is the root of the problem. The
diagnoses of the causes of terrorism determine what kind of actions people
feel are called for. Listening to the reactions and comments, I think we
can make out two broad groups of people with fundamentally different ways
of perceiving political events. The first group are those who seek causes
of events such as a terrorist attack in the characteristics of the
perpetrators. For them, the world is made up of different individuals,
groups and organisations and what these actors do is explained by what
inherent qualities they have. Terrorists attack other people because they
are destructive, fundamentalist, dangerous, evil, etc. According to this
worldview there are (and will be) evil people in the world. The logical
consequence of this perspective when faced with terrorist actions is to
locate the terrorists and pacify them. This can be done by various means,
such as to kill the leaders, lock them up in jails or behind blockades,
destroy their organisations and deprive them of their resources, etc. The
second group are those who tend to think about the world in terms of causes
and contexts. People do not act in certain ways just because of their
inherent qualities, but there are reasons for their behaviour. This way of
looking at things opens up a whole world of understanding of causes and
consequences and makes it crucially important to understand under what
conditions people start to act destructively. People who perceive the world
in terms of causes and consequences also realise that the way they act
themselves have important consequences. Different ways of acting lead to
different consequences, meaning it is important to adapt actions to desired
outcomes. This may sound extremely trivial, but there are enough people,
some in powerful positions, who seem to disregard considerations of causes
and consequences when making decisions about how to handle difficult
situations.
The first group, the surface reacters, lives in a world where the primary
concern is to be prepared for the worst on the one hand, and to react to
events on the other hand. Their world is one of uncertain probabilities,
because their thinking is not oriented towards analysing cause-and-effect
chains or the particular contexts that determine the likelihood of certain
events. Because they perceive causes of political events only in terms of
inherent qualities of the actors involved, they very easily get caught up
in blaming. Problems are only understood in terms of culpability, not in
terms of complex circumstances, processes and contexts. In the face of the
recent terror attacks, they might say things like: "This is an attack
against the free, open and democratic society by fanatical terrorists. We
have a right and a duty to hunt down and punish the perpetrators." The big
problem with this is not what it says, but what it doesn't say: that there
are underlying reasons for what happens and that it is very important to
consider causes and consequences in order to reach desirable outcomes. I am
very, very concerned about the damage that can be created by
decision-makers who act without considering wider causes and consequences.
We sorely need people in responsible positions to work with questions like:
Under what kind of circumstances do people become terrorists? How can we
act in order to prevent that people want to join terrorist organisations?
I think it is very important that we who are accustomed to look for reasons
and consequences take care not to get bogged down in discussions about
guilt, not even in the form of blaming "the system" or past sins of the
Western world. Debates about who is to blame are usually sterile in terms
of finding constructive solutions to the problems we face. It is important
to look closely into how Western powers have contributed to the negative
aspects of the state of the contemporary world, but mainly because an
awareness of our own role in creating this situation makes it impossible
for us to reject responsibility for handling the problems the world society
faces."