No subject

integer at www.god-emil.dk integer at www.god-emil.dk
Sun Sep 16 10:01:28 CEST 2001

----------
From: "yvonne yay" <y at onomatopoeik.com>
To: <sandbox at echonyc.com>, <sandboxmagazine at topica.com>
Subject: Re: no scapegoating
Date: Sat, Sep 15, 2001, 12:12 PM

FYI

PLEASE CIRCULATE WIDELY.
Peace and Greetings.
On behalf of DRUM (Desis Rising Up & Moving), we?d like to extend our
solidarity and support of folks affected by yesterday?s tragedy and its
repercussions.
The incidents of yesterday will undoubtedly have a major impact on future
world events in terms of U.S. foreign policy and retaliation. But we should
not forget also the very immediate and local impacts that will be felt for a
long time ahead for immigrant and communities of color in the U.S. As in
the aftermath of the Gulf War, the World Trade Center bombing of 1993, and
the Oklahoma bombing, many people in our communities already have been
targeted, attacked, beaten, and harassed. Working class immigrants and
people of color already live under constant police and INS repression and
things will undoubtedly get worse.
There have been reports already from around the Tri-state area and around
the country of anti-Muslim/ anti-Arab/ anti-immigrant attacks. As you know,
this generally means anyone who supposedly LOOKS Arab or Muslim- South
Asians, particularly Sikhs, Arabs, and many other folks of color.
DRUM as part of the Coalition Against Police Brutality in NYC (which
includes over a dozen people of color organizations) is organizing around
bias attacks in the NYC area. We are meeting with organizations city-wide
tomorrow evening to coordinate efforts of different communities. On a
broader front, DRUM will continue to organize with other groups around the
long-term effects on INS policy and detention and immigrants rights.
DRUM is setting up a number to report all incidents of hate crimes and bias
attacks for South Asians in the NYC and New Jersey area. Please call in all
information about incidents including any contact information for those
victimized. We have begun follow-up and community outreach today through
Queens and Brooklyn, particularly at Mosques and Gurudwaras in the area. We
will work with other groups to collect this information and organize
response with the leadership of folks in our community.
THE DRUM BIAS ATTACK NUMBER IS (212) 631-3689.
In Struggle,
Monami Maulik and Subhash Kateel
Coordinators, DRUM

For info on DRUM -Desis Rising Up & Moving,
email info at drumnation.org, or call 212.631.3689
www.drumnation.org
"I have advocated, and I still advocate, revolutionary changes in the
structure and in the principles that govern the United States. I advocate an
end to capitalist exploitation, the abolition of racist policies, the
eradication of sexism and the elimination of political repression. If that
is a crime, then I am totally guilty."
Assata Shakur

--
Yvonne