WE ARE ONLINE - www.kurzfilmtage.de

Kurzfilmtage niewalda at kurzfilmtage.de
Thu Oct 25 14:53:33 CEST 2001

The relaunch is complete!

Streamings, databases, short film magazine and more are NOW online at:

www.kurzfilmtage.de

---------------------------------

Background information:

New Short Film Website

On 25 October 2001 the International Short Film Festival is unveiling a
completely new website at www.kurzfilmtage.de. With its new design and
structure, including streamings and a wide range of services added, the
relaunch is not merely a reworked festival site, but instead represents a
year-round Internet platform dedicated to promoting the international short
film.

For six days each year, the Short Film Festival in Oberhausen puts on a
successful international festival of the short film representing the most
visible part of our work  but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Just
below the surface, so to speak, lies a myriad of other activities in which
the Short Film Festival is involved throughout the year, such as
distributing short films, managing a comprehensive short film archive and
putting out various publications. These are the activities that are
spotlighted in the relaunch of our website on 25 October 2001, and that
will be expanded considerably in the future.

The relaunch quite literally sets things in motion: over 50 short works are
viewable by means of streaming in various sections of the website  for
example, the award winning films of 2001 or selections from our
distribution programme  and this number will increase to include over 80
entries by the end of the year. The short films and clips are digitized and
streamed by Germany’s largest alternative carrier and business provider,
mediaWays GmbH. The Internet services provider has years of experience in
streaming and is joining the www.kurzfilmtage.de project as Technical
Support Partner.

Long-term plans include the presentation of works made exclusively for the
Internet that cannot be shown offline. Currently, the Short Film Festival’s
new website makes use of the Internet platform to provide practical
services and database functions, accessed by users under the new categories
Festival, Short Film Exchange and Magazine.

The new structure
In the Festival section, the user can find information and services in
connection with the ”offline” aspect of the International Short Film
Festival Oberhausen. The Short Film Exchange section is designated
especially for expert and industry users: a film market database with some
15,000 titles and the archive database with around 1,300 titles can be
accessed by qualified visitors via a password (passwords can be obtained
from the Festival, there is an access fee for entering the archive
database). Accessible to all users are the distribution programme and
festival publications, as well as a collection of links and numerous
streamed film clips.

Finally, the magazine ”shortfilm.de” will report on the short film scene
independently from the Festival itself. While the Short Film Festival acts
here as mediator, the magazine is not designed to be a vehicle representing
the voice of the Festival. In addition to a monthly theme article, the
magazine will contain interviews, commentaries and news. Subscription to an
e-mail newsletter will inform users in advance of upcoming topics. The main
focus will be on the areas of service, news and film politics. In the
mid-term, the magazine hopes to engage the participation of national and
international partners, in order to provide the short film with an
independent medium, bundling the varied activities surrounding this genre
and representing them in a fitting manner.

”We see it as our responsibility to promote the short film both
artistically and commercially, and not only during the Short Film Festival
itself,” commented Ulrike Erbslöh, Managing Director of the Internationale
Kurzfilmtage Oberhausen gGmbH and Project Manager for the website relaunch.
”The Internet provides us with the ideal medium for working steadily and
with international exposure. Our long-term objective is for a curator from
Singapore, for example, who wishes to compile a programme of German short
films, to be able to use our online resources at any time; or that
filmmakers and film buffs from anywhere in the world can exchange views in
the forum; or that a journalist seeking information on the topic of short
film promotion can call up the pertinent themes and discussions in the
magazine or submit his own comments  in short, the website is designed to
have the potential to become a hub in the worldwide short film network.”

Oberhausen, 25 October 2001

Press contact: Sabine Niewalda
Tel +49 208 825-3073, Fax 825-5413, niewalda at kurzfilmtage.de
Internationale Kurzfilmtage Oberhausen gGmbH
International Short Film Festival Oberhausen
Grillostr. 34
D-46045 Oberhausen
Germany
Fon + 49 (0)208 825-3073