approach

Claudia Westermann media at ezaic.de
Thu Oct 18 18:49:20 CEST 2001

yesterday

I attended some speaches and discussions.
people talking were among others: Hans Belting, Peter Sloterdijk, Andrei Ujica

Sloterdijk is doing an approach by trying to find a definition for the kind
of terrorism we can perceive today.
Besides of this, one remark was also interesting. Regarding Germany he
said, that the war report methods have not changed since 1918, that there
is more diffusion than in other countries. I hope he will publish this text
somehow, because it's always difficult with these shortly out of context
taken remarks.
Pretty united in the discussion they were, that this war has to do a lot
with symbols and images. Besides the perception that the western countries
are probably just following the expectation of Bin Laden.
A big helplessness was expressed. The realization of a big lack in
education and understanding of the islamic world. (there were some people
filming, so I will try to do some excerpts of this discussion and
translation...)

Andrei Ujica
will try to do an approach to the islamic world also by analysis of the
work of the big Iranian
regisseur Abbas Kiarostami.
here is some link to the work of Abbas Kiarostami
http://www.zeitgeistfilm.com/current/tasteofcherry/kiarostami.html

he promised me some texts in English. I will send them over, then.

here is some introduction to Andrei Ujica and some little text he read
yesterday in German.

Andrei Ujica

Geschichte im HZ
http://www.hfg-karlsruhe.de/film/ujica/ujica09.html

bio
http://www.hfg-karlsruhe.de/film/ujica/ujica10.html

by the way, I have not a big confidence in the self learning capabilities
of the big powerful Western countries.
There are no cultural studies in our schools (at least not in Germany).
The next country we will attack might be yours. Maybe you start talking before.

and we just try to get some money for meetings and discussions...
the capabilities of humans to work multilayered are a little bit limited...
some ideas and propositions would be very welcome.

greetings
Claudia