impakt festival - not really a review

Claudia Westermann media at ezaic.de
Thu Oct 11 01:38:12 CEST 2001

Hi you all,

two days ago, I came back from impakt festival in Utrecht, the Netherlands.
It was a very nice festival, with very nice people and artists form all
over the world. Some spirit.
(merci to all the people involved in it again and especially to Arjon and Anja)

Besides of many videos, installations and music events, there were shown
also some web projects and cd-roms.
I do not really feel like writing a review. Some people mentioned to me,
they would do it, so I hope, they will.
I just post the addresses of the web projects presented. This can also be
looked up at www.impakt.nl.
You might have a look.

greetings Claudia

Namniyas Ashuratova - The Interactive Lexicon of Juxta
http://lex.namniyas.org/lexicon_e/
(website, Russia 2000)
"The Interactive Lexicon of Juxta" is an empty lexicographical system that
users can fill in online with new items, images, and definitions. Namniyas
Ashuratova’s source of inspiration was Andrey Velikanov’s essay "Virtual
body of Juxta." Velikanov considers information to be the ultimate creative
subject, a new kind of contemporary deity: Juxta. Ashuratova’s lexicon can
be seen as a virtual embodiment of this ubiquitous information system.

Aleksandra Globokar - Cybervilla
http://www.architectivalia.org/cybervilla/
(webproject, Slovenia 2000)
Aleksandra Globokar designed a home for avatars, who until then she had
considered to be homeless. "Cybervilla" is a three-dimensional,
interactive, multi-user environment. This villa consists not only of the
standard functional rooms like kitchens and bedrooms, but also offers a
home for the avatar’s emotions.

Michiel Knaven ­ Soundboxes
The Handmirror
Conversations with Francesca
http://www.michaelmedia.org
(three websites, The Netherlands 2000)
A selection of Internet projects by Michiel Knaven. "Soundboxes" consists
of small, sometimes interactive interfaces in which sound forms the point
of departure for the navigation. In "The Handmirror," information such as
youth, memory recollection, and family history are used in eight scenes.
"Conversations with Francesca" consists of interpretations of the work of
Italian Renaissance painter Piero della Francesca, in which Knaven has the
characters enter into a contemporary dialogue.

Mouchette - Lullaby for a dead fly
http://mouchette.org/fly/flies.html
(website, The Netherlands 2000)

7 interactive songs
http://mouchette.org/music/index.html
(website, The Netherlands 2001)
The virtual death of a fly, the symbol of the Net persona Mouchette, was
the basis of "Lullaby for a Dead Fly." The website presents the funny,
curious, empathetic, and sometimes even cynical reactions of the
fly-killers, written on the occasion of the suicide she stages. In "7
interactive songs," Mouchette has the audience undergo an intimate,
minimalist audio-visual experience.

Melinda Rackham - carrier
http://www.subtle.net/carrier
(website, Australia 1999)
In the Internet project "carrier," Melinda Rackham creates a love story
between the audience and the hepatitis C virus. With this project, Rackham
investigates the phenomena of viral symbiosis in the biological and virtual
domains. She surprisingly combines visions from scientific,
molecular-biological research with the audience’s personal experiences.
sHE, an "intelligent viral agent", guides the visitor through the website.

squid s o u p - altzero
http://www.altzero.com
(interactive 3D sound environment on the internet, United Kingdom 2000)
"altzero" is a three-dimensional interactive environment in which the
audience members can communicate with each another via music and chat. The
sounds made by the various users manipulate the image in real-time, which
creates a three-dimensional, navigable landscape. The result is a dynamic
"immersive environment," a constantly changing setting in which the
audience directs the audio-visual experience.

Igor Stromajer - ‘what was he thinking about? berlin? praha? ljubljana?
skopje?
(emotional virtual environment ­ intimate spectacle)
http://kid.kibla.org/~intima/city
(website, Slovakia 2000)
An Internet project about four "emotional atmospheres" in Berlin, Prague,
Ljubljana, and Skopje. Igor Stromajer challenges his audience to freely
associate based on quotes, links, and video fragments from the mass media
and (cinema) history. And typically for him, he doesn’t address the meaning
of his work, but instead gives way to the fantasy of the audience.

I hardly ever go, where I am supposed to go.... so I found more things
worth to look at.
I found this entry: http://www2.arnes.si/~ljintima2/

this is a little aside, a cd-rom - I did not have the time to look through
all of the cd-roms, but this one is a good work - so when you have the
chance to look at it somewhere, do it.

mia mäkelä ­ PASSenger
(cd-rom, Finland 2000)
For "PASSenger," Mia Mäkelä interviewed various people in Brussels and
Helsinki about their thoughts and actions of that day. On the basis of a
map that combined the two cities, as well as their reproduction in time and
space, she designed a "psychogeographic" map of a fictive city. The
audience can travel through this constructed city by using audio navigation
based on the interviews. In so doing, a new trajectory though the city is
consistently being created that connects the separate locations and
experiences.