European Cultural Foundation: Closing of APEXchanges

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Tue Nov 27 19:23:35 CET 2001

Closing of APEXchanges
The ECF has decided to rethink its strategy for supporting mobility in the cultural sector. We have reached this decision because of two factors: firstly, our limited
budget cannot cope with the large increase in the number of applications to APEXchanges; secondly, the programme in its current form does not fit our redefined
priorities. Our new policy on mobility will be presented in early 2002.
Because of these changes all applications to the APEXchanges fund have been refused since 1 August 2001. If you received an APEX grant during 2001, your final
deadline for claming payment is 15 December 2001.

The ECF launched the APEXchanges programme in February 1994 targeting short time span artistic projects to further the cause of mobility in the cultural sector. In its
seven years existence APEXchanges awarded more than 800 mobility grants
to artists originating from 23 Eastern and Central European countries: Albania, Armenia, Belarus, Bosnia Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech republic, Estonia,
Georgia, Hungary, Kazahstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan and Yugoslavia.
The programme offered support on two levels: general mobility grant for talented young artists and arts organizers, aimed at establishing international contacts; and
longer term support for concrete projects organized by both Eastern and
Western European artistic organizations. Travel costs for artistic meetings, seminars, exhibitions, network meetings, festivals, trainings, conferences, productions and
their preparations, workshops and placements were covered. The programme supported cross border projects in the visual arts, performing arts, arts management, and
new media. It facilitated cultural cooperation and initiated artistic collaboration and dialogue through artistic planning, exploring and
implementation. APEXchanges sustained innovation and quality by encouraging simultaneous artistic development in different artistic disciplines.