___ R E A L T O K Y O MAIL MAGAZINE Vol. 54___

Tetsuya OZAKI ozaki at blue.ocn.ne.jp
Fri Nov 23 05:41:04 CET 2001

   R    E    A    L    T    O    K    Y    O    MAIL MAGAZINE
_____23_11_2001_Fri_vol.54___________ http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

[This Week's Index]

(1) Tokyo, 4 Weeks:
Radio Boy Live in Japan

(2) Out of Tokyo:
NY Terror and the Voices of Intellectuals

(3) Tokyo Visitors' Book:
Claude Leveque

(4) Tokyo Culture Diary:
Vol. 017

(5) Presents of the Week:
Pappa Tarahumara tickets

This week's RT Picks:

art+cinema+music+stage+design+town = 39 events
including 14 new ones!
Plus new entries on our 'book/disk' page.

Check them out!

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

(1) Tokyo, 4 Weeks

The Herbert Way of Conveying Messages
Radio Boy Live in Japan

recommended by Soup-Disk owner, "Moxa" co-host and soccer
enthusiast Hara Masaaki

Matthew Herbert's stages are usually stuffed with humour and
unforeseen events that make it impossible to turn one's eyes from
the stage. When he seems to be doing some theatrical gestures,
he's in fact taking over the part of the percussionist, pounding
on plastic bottles, potato chips bags, or other material...
While producing such unique beats he never forgets to keep people
on the dance floor in motion, and even if the crowd's eyes are
nailed to the stage, everybody's leaving the rest of their bodies
to the beat. I think Herbert is an incomparable individual in
today's music world, whose unique live performances go beyond the
category of usual club music…

Read more at

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/4weeks/0058-hara.htm

(2) Out of Tokyo

Vol. 025 of RT editor Ozaki Tetsuya's column discusses the media's
reports on terror and war

When the air strikes on Yugoslavia began in March 1999, all we got
from the Japanese media was some formal information. 'Formal' means
that there were only casual, superficial reports on the facts, that
neglected completely the inclusion of discussions by intellectuals
on the bombings and the state of things in the Balkans.
I didn't check the media of Balkan or Islamic states back then, but
the reports people in the NATO states were served were interesting.
Papers such as "New York Times," "Guardian," "Le Monde," or
"Liberation" provided platforms for exchange of various opinions, and
also the Internet was offering a considerable amount of information…

Read more at

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/column/ozaki25.htm

(3) Tokyo Visitors' Book

Visitor number 18 is French artist Claude Leveque, who came to
Japan for the preparations of his upcoming exhibition

(4) Tokyo Culture Diary Vol. 017

Volume 17 of "Composite" Editor Sugatsuke Masanobu's diary

September 4 (Tue)

I'm interviewing Oyamada Keigo (a.k.a. Cornelius), who has just
released his first album in four years. The interview takes place
at his office in Nakameguro, and for the photo shooting we move over
to the area around Shinjuku's Metropolitan Government building.
Inspired by the fast-paced video for Cornelius' new track, "Point
of View Point," that lines up short sequences of city scenes,
photographer Minakawa Satoshi uses a strobe and a super-slow shutter.
The latest issue of "Commercial Photo," by the way, is a Minagawa
special, and the casual conversation between me and him that's
published there seems to have caused quite a stir in the world of
professional photography…

Read more at
http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/composite/0017-sugatsuke.htm

(5) Presents

Next to REALOSAKA memorial goods and REALTOKYO stickers, this week
we are giving away tickets to a performance by Pappa Tarahumara.

To apply and for further information, please see:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/present/present.htm

Next week on RT:

- Tokyo, 4 weeks

- Tokyo Culture Diary

and more…

In order to make REALTOKYO even more interesting and convenient
for you, we rely on your feedback. Please send us opinions or
productive suggestions concerning contents, structure, layouts,
etc. Three especially lucky readers who send a mail to
info at realtokyo.co.jp.
will be chosen and receive a little gift.

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

---PR------------------------------------------------------------

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

REALTOKYO is looking for advertisers wanting to place banners on
our web site and/or in the mail magazine. Banners will get lots of
hits from people attracted to a web site full of catchy information
on cinema, art, music, theatre and other fun events in town.
Please contact the following email address for dimensions and costs.

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

Please click the URL below to stop receiving email and to change
your password.
http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/scheduler/f_configure_ja.htm
Users must go to the page above to make changes to their services;
REALTOKYO regrets that it is unable to process changes received by
email.

No part of the text or images from this site may be used
without permission from the publisher.  Copyright 2001 REALTOKYO