HOLLYWOOD: singing senseless songs to the mindless

a at e8z.org a at e8z.org
Tue Nov 13 10:04:53 CET 2001

This Is CNN http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0111/11/le.00.html

-----------

BLITZER: And up next, the Bush administration opens a new front in
the way against terrorism. This time it's Hollywood. We'll talk to
two key players in that effort when LATE EDITION returns. Stay with
us.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

BLITZER: Welcome back.

President Bush's political adviser Karl Rove and other administration
officials are meeting with Hollywood executives in California today
to talk about the ways television and the film industry can assist in
the war on terrorism.

Earlier today, I spoke with two participants, Mark McKinnon, a Bush
Media adviser, and Bryce Zabel, the chief executive officer of the
Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

BLITZER: Mark McKinnon and Bryce Zabel, thanks for joining us.
Appreciate it, just before this big meeting you're having out there.

Let me begin with you, Mark. Tell us precisely what President Bush
wants Hollywood to do in this war on terrorism?

MARK MCKINNON, FORMER BUSH MEDIA ADVISER: Well, we want to make one
thing very clear, and that is that this is not a government- directed
effort. It may be Washington-inspired.

But since September 11, we've have had an incredible outpouring of
support from the Hollywood community, people who want to help, and
we'd like for them to be able to help, if and where it's appropriate.

So there's been a dialogue established. And a couple of weeks ago, we
had an initial meeting. This is a follow-up meeting to talk about
some specific ideas. But it's really a brainstorming session, where
we'll lay out thoughts. We expect to hear some thoughts from the
creative and entertainment community.

But it's, really, as Bryce here said, this is really kind of a band
of brothers. It's not Big Brother. This is not intended to be any
sort of a propaganda machine. We're not dictating anything to
anybody, but we really welcome the support.

BLITZER: Well, let me go to Bryce and ask him, specifically, the
letter that the White House faxed to several of you, major Hollywood
executives, among other things, it said this: It said, "The
anticipated outcome of the meeting would be an initial plan
encompassing several substantive ways we can lend support to our
nation's cause."

What do you see -- how do you see the role that Hollywood will play
in this war on terrorism?

BRYCE ZABEL, ACADEMY OF TELEVISION ARTS AND SCIENCES: Well, Wolf, I
was at that first meeting a few weeks ago, and I think there was some
frustration in that there was a desire to feel more of a sense of
whatever the mission was going to be, whatever specifics would be. So
we look forward to hearing from Karl Rove today about some of his
thoughts.

I think, actually, a lot of what we're talking about is going to be
driven by the spirit of volunteerism.

You probably know I have just gotten through staging the Emmys after
three tries. We opened up the Emmys with a trumpeter playing "God
Bless America" and the American flag. Karl Rove or Mark here didn't
call us and ask us to do that. We did that because we thought it was
the appropriate choice.

So I think we'll be talking about some of the things that might work
and might not work for the various parties.

MCKINNON: If I could just jump in. A lot of what we're trying do is
create a dialogue, and so that, when people want to help, they know
who to call in government and government knows who to call in
Hollywood.

A good example was when Bryce was dealing with the Emmys, and it was
initially an idea that we might let the military installation to do
that. So Bryce knew who to call and we knew who to call to help try
and get that done. As it happened, we didn't choose that option, but
at least we know who to talk to.

BLITZER: But is the...

ZABEL: That's going to be very important in future.

BLITZER: Let me ask both of you, is the message that you're trying to
get out a message to influence domestic American public opinion or to
influence the international community, including people in the Muslim
world and the Arab world out there?

Let me begin with you, Mark. Who is your target audience right now?

MCKINNON: Well, one thing that we recognize is that the Hollywood
community is a huge pipeline of the world. And, you know, our
greatest export is entertainment in this country, and Hollywood is
our greatest exporter.

But there's an international audience, there's a domestic audience.
There are various audiences that we're looking at, and that's a lot
of what our discussion will be about today.

We're obviously interested in enhancing our public support and
maintaining that public support domestically, but we also want to
make sure that democracies in Europe know what our message is and
that we continue to define what this war is about, why we're
fighting, who we're fighting, and also to do what we can in other
countries, as well.

BLITZER: Is that is your understanding, Bryce, as well?

ZABEL: Well, I think, actually, the answer is probably both.

Obviously, the American public doesn't lack for communications. We
are the most communicated-with population in world history. So in
terms of just getting information to public, that's being done right
now through CNN and all the other media outlets out there.

The question would be, every day the Hollywood community puts
messages out, through film and television, and I think we should
probably all take a look what those messages mean to the world and
talk about whether, included in that mix, are some that are, perhaps,
more explanatory of what the American message really is at this time.

I will say this, Wolf. I represent 11,000 people in the academy who
range from directors and writers all the way down to hair dressers
and costume designers. And I've received a number of phone calls and
e-mails from people who say, what can I do to help, how can I be
involved in doing anything to help my country get their message out
to the rest of the world or even to the rest of Americans?

BLITZER: You know, Mark, Jack Valenti, who is the head of the Motion
Picture Association of America, was CNN earlier in the week. He saw
the role of Hollywood in this war in a specific way. I want you to
listen to what he had to say.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

JACK VALENTI, HEAD OF THE MOTION PICTURE ASSOCIATION: What I'm saying
to you is the power of the movie and the movie star to impress
people, to entice them, in their alluring manner, can be very helpful
in trying to persuade them that we are not their enemy.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

BLITZER: So, clearly, his message out there was to the Muslim world,
the Arab world, people around the world, who may not see the
situation as clear-cut as most Americans of course do.

MCKINNON: Well, no question about it. I mean, to the extent, as Jack
said, we -- you know, the things that we often talk about in American
media are about freedom and democracy and tolerance. And it's no
wonder that some of those closest aides want to shut down and keep
out American media.

The reason they want to do this is they don't want to show their
people what they don't have. And what they don't have is freedom.
What they don't have is tolerance. What they don't have is multiple
religious experiences available to their culture. So that's why they
want to shut it out, and that's why we want to get it in.

ZABEL: Wolf, if I could react to what Jack said, for a moment. Jack
represents the film industry, and I think he's got the right message,
but it's a larger message than that.

The television industry has certainly shown that it is a quick
reaction force, if nothing else. Following the September 11
atrocities, it took exactly four days for the television industry to
get the Tribute to Heroes on the air and to roadblock it across all
the networks and other cable outlets to respond quickly to that.
Obviously, that ability is going to be important in the future, as
well. And also, if you think about it, television programs are as
widely distributed as are films, and they can be turned around
faster. Take a look at what Aaron Sorkin did with the West Wing in
his episode not so long ago.

So I think it's really going to be a mixture of media.

MCKINNON: Yes. I think there's no -- it's really been -- it's been a
real inspiration what the entertainment community has done to date.

And it's interesting, as you look back historically, in fact, what
happened in World War II is, the entertainment community was way out
ahead of the government. They came out several years before there
were really significant government programs.

So, the entertainment community is already flourishing, as far as
this effort goes.

ZABEL: And in fact President Bush's own grandfather led the way.

MCKINNON: That's right.

BLITZER: There were some very creative public service announcements
that Mayor Giuliani released in New York City earlier this week. You
probably saw them. They've received wide publicity, already using
some well-known personalities. Let me play a quick snippet of some of
those PSAs.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

BARBARA WALTERS: (SINGING)

DIRECTOR: Next!

WALTERS: I could do something from "Cats."

DIRECTOR: That's nice.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

WOODY ALLEN, DIRECTOR: You're not going to believe this, that was the
first time I put on ice skates in my life.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

ANNOUNCER: Everyone has a New York dream. Come find yours.

MAYOR RUDY GIULIANI, NEW YORK CITY: The New York miracle, be a part of it.

(END VIDEO CLIP) BLITZER: Bryce, are you planning on doing a lot of
those PSAs but on a bigger scale now? Is that what you think the
White House would like you to do?

ZABEL: Well, I'm sure the PSAs may be part of it, but frankly, if the
government wants PSAs, they can commission them, as they've done for
tobacco ads -- or anti-tobacco ads.

I mean, I sat down this week, and knowing about this meeting, and
generated some ideas of my own, just to stimulate discussion about
features and television series and Internet examples and specials and
so forth, and I came up with about 20 ideas, just yesterday.

So I think that we're really talking about a broad spectrum of things
that goes away beyond PSAs or short films or anything.

MCKINNON: Yes, that's a great example. I mean, there is such a
spectrum of entertainment options out there. And we're looking
forward to -- we have some ideas of our own that Karl will lay out.
But as Bryce just said, these are the people who do this for a
living, these are the guys who understand real creative content. And
if Bryce can think of 20 ideas just yesterday, imagine what this room
of titans of this industry can think of, you know, in a month.

BLITZER: All right. Looks like a new alliance is being forged, the
Bush White House and Hollywood, who would have thought? But let's see
what happens. Good luck in your meetings out in Hollywood today.

Appreciate both of you joining us.

MCKINNON: Thank you.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

BLITZER: And from Hollywood to ground zero in New York City. I want
to show you a live picture of a ceremony that's taking place right
now at ground zero, what once was, of course, the site of the World
Trade Center.

The actor Ron Silver is reading some 86 names of countries and
regions, people who were lost from those countries and regions during
the attack at the World Trade Center.

Let's listen in briefly.

RON SILVER, ACTOR: Australia, Austria.

Bangladesh, Barbados.

Belarus, Belgium.

Belize, Bolivia.

Brazil, Canada.

BLITZER: Ron Silver, the actor, reading the names alphabetically of
some 86 countries...

SILVER: Chile, China.

BLITZER: ... and regions that lost individuals at the World Trade
Center bombing on September 11. President Bush -- you can see his
back -- there with other world leaders. They are not expected to
speak. A ceremony underscoring the international nature...

SILVER: Colombia, the Czech Republic.

BLITZER: ... of the attack on September 11.

We'll have more of this ceremony later. We're going to take a quick
break. We'll also speak to a former Clinton administration official
who met some two dozen times with Taliban officials. Stay with us.

SILVER: Dominica, Dominican Republic.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)