call for proposals for Incubation2

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Sun Nov 4 01:03:18 CET 2001

CALL  FOR PROPOSALS for INCUBATION2
The 2nd trAce International Conference on Writing and the Internet
15-17th July 2002 at The Nottingham Trent University
Deadline for Proposals 1st December 2001
Selections announced by 31st January 2002

We are pleased to invite proposals for Incubation2, the leading international
conference on Writing and the Internet. For our second conference we
continue our focus on the role of the internet and telecommunications and
particularly invite contributions that address the way new media create new
potentials and re-define the acts of writing and reading. We welcome
proposals on all aspects of new media and writing, especially by those
whose work is based in new media, on or off the internet.

Possible topics include:
Process:
How do we write on the web?
How are computer-aided and computational tools changing writing and reading?
What are our favourite tools and how can we use them better?
What part does collaboration play?
How has the web changed what we create?
How have writing and writing practices changed with the advent of new communications
technologies?
What is the difference between electronic writing and print-based writing?
What is currently state of the art? What is happening in poetics and aesthetics?
Where is the most interesting critical writing?
Is new media writing literature?

Learning:
How do we learn and teach writing on the web?
How is the online workshop different from the physical workshop?
How has the web changed what we learn and how we learn it?
How do the economics of time alter online?
What might comprise an 'equivalent' education in the new learning spaces?
What elements of teaching are changed online?
How do the economics of online teaching work?
Does new media writing have a place in the English Curriculum?

Culture:
How do the online environment and other new media tools modify the relationship
between writing, language, culture and ethnicity?
How is the web enabling writers to address diversity and difference including
groups within a nation e.g. the city and the country; and within the
world e.g. refugees, asylum-seekers and other ethnic groups living in
foreign countries?
Is there a cultural divide between writers who use the web, and those who don't?
How is the interdisciplinary culture of the web affecting traditional funding
models for writing?

Conference Committee
Paul Brown : Catherine Byron : Jane Dorner : Marjorie Luesebrink : Alan
Sondheim : Sue Thomas : Lawrence Upton : Jenny Weight : Helen Whitehead

Types  of proposals sought:
New Media Writing Presentation (30 mins)
Presentation and discussion of web-based writing by individuals or collaborative
groups.

Workshop (1 hour)
A hands-on event in which the workshop leader guides the group through
a practical learning or creative experience. Please indicate whether you
require a PC resource room or a regular classroom. (both types seat approx
20 people). Sorry, we have no Mac resource rooms.

Talk / Presentation (20 mins)
Contributions in a range of new media formats are welcomed from commentators,
practitioners and academics alike: we hope for a range of presentation
styles - to be included in a chaired session of usually 3 or 4 presentations
plus discussion time.

Proposals to be submitted via the webform
trace at ntu.ac.uk
http://www.trace.ntu.ac.uk/incubatiion